Tuesday, July 27, 2010




Today's summary: The traffic roundabouts are making me so confused, I don't know if it's Christmas or Cleveland.

The trip over was pretty uneventful, except for the two hours we sat in ATL waiting for take-off, putting us behind on arrival. But Josep was indeed waiting for me... although the delay made him wonder if I sent him the right info.

We somehow managed to upgrade the little toaster of a car I had reserved into some brand-new, never-been-driven Nissan monster. What were they thinking?? It drives beautifully, says Josep, but we wonder if we'll be able to park it. Details.

Now, the car rental lady also asked if we wanted to add a GPS. "Why?" I said. "I have HIM." That was before I learned that he had never driven from the airport area to home. But we got a lovely vew of the Catalunyan countryside.

Upon arriving in Avinyo, I was greeted with my first authentic paella! I had to admit that I didn't have the vaguest idea how to eat some of the seafood in it, but I will admit... DELICIOUS! Maybe I DO like shellfish!

After lunch, my tourguide took a siesta, and his parents, Celia and Jaume, took me to Montserrat (roughly translated, "serrated/jagged mountain"). There's beautiful monastery up there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_de_Montserrat), housing a black madonna. It was an incredibly beautiful drive!

After returning, we all went to the family's country home, La Vall, for dinner on the patio. I'm still working on the fact that it's been in the family since the year 1250.

Josep's parents were amazed that I went with Josep and his brother Joan to an outdoor ice-cream-ish place in Manresa, a nearby town. It's now midnight-ish, which means that I've been up the old-person equivalent of "forever." I might need to pace myself. But going to sleep with the windows open, listening to a nearby jazz festival? Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment