Sunday, August 01, 2010






You know, sometimes the quiet times give you the best surprises.

The nicest surprise was a carry-over from last night. The family's oldest daughter, Laia, is home from med school for the day. If you picture a female version of Josep (in looks) with a 180 degree difference in personality, that would be Laia. Very sweet, very impressive. Not that Josep isn't those, but...

But today was explained to me as a quiet day with nothing special planned. We started off at the local pool, which in a town the size of Avinyo can't be far away.

After that, however, we went to a restaurant near the town of Vic. I've never had a more gourmet outing in my live. When you start with gin and tonic whipped up into a frozen appetizer in dry ice, you know you're in for a treat. Add two appetizers, four main courses (foie gras, a shrimp concoction, fresh tuna, then duck), two desserts, and a seemingly bottomless bottle of wine... what more could you ask? Foie gras, for the record, isn't as disgusting as I imagined; damn, it was delicious. The Catalunyans know how to eat.

The dinner was a multiple celebration: the grandparents' 60th anniversary, the great-aunt's birthday, Jaume & Celia's anniversary, and they threw in my visit.

After hanging at home later (and having Joan try to teach me to play warcraft-style video games.. the world is safe if I run the military, by the way), we went to a festival in a little town near here: Sant Joan d'Olo. Look for it if you dare. All I saw wat the ancient church and one house.(There was an interesting discussion about the distinction between the true "rurals" vs. the "neo-rurals." Never heard that term before!

But grilled food, booze, a quartet of singers... and friends. What could be a better end to the night?

Tomorrow, Josep, Joan, and I head to Andorra, where we'll spend the night. Father of two teens for the evening.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. What fantastic photos!! Makes me feel like I'm ALMOST there. Your descriptions of the foods (maybe not the beverages :)will be helpful when we talk about Spain in foods classes this year. I have to say, you haven't changed in four years! Thanks for including me in your travels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a vacation with wonderful memories. Love the family picture.

    ReplyDelete